Are you someone who loves writing? Are you on a hunt to find a laptop that is tailored to your specific needs? Today, when we have millions of gadgets available around us, finding the right laptop can get trickier and confusing. But with the right knowledge and guidance we can make this task easy for you.
Table of Contents
Writers are known for their creative quotient. So it is important to have a laptop that enhances your creativity. For any situation, your laptop is your one stop workplace. Your laptop keeps you connected with the outside world bringing you the hidden creative gems that are floating around the internet. Your laptop is your buddy who is always on the outlook to help you let that creativity intact in you, and exploring the Best Online Courses For Writing can further fuel your inspiration and refine your craft.
In today’s blog, we will explore and find which is the best laptop for writers in 2024? Our comparison would be based on how large the display is, the battery life, its storage capacity, RAM and more. By the end of this article, you will learn what are the ideal criteria that you should keep in mind while choosing a laptop for your daily writing needs.
Top 9 Best Laptop for Writers
1. Apple MacBook Air (M2)
Apple MacBook Air (M2) has a 13.3 inch large display. It’s liquid retina display makes it brighter with a resolution of 2560 x 1600 pixels. It can last up to 18 hours at a stretch. If you are looking to attend meetings while writing, its 1080P webcam is going to give you a seamless experience. On the weight front it is around 1.22 kg which makes it portable. It comes with up to 10-core CPU which makes it comparatively faster than its peer. If your budget is on the higher range, you can definitely consider Apple MacBook Air (M2).
- Display Size – 13.3-inch Liquid Retina display with 2560 x 1600 pixels resolution
- Processor – Apple M2 chip with 8-core CPU and 10-core GPU
- RAM – 8GB, 16GB, or 24GB unified memory
- Graphics – 10-core GPU or 16-core GPU
- Weight – 2.7 pounds or 1.22 kg
- Battery Life – Wireless web browsing up to 15 hours or video playback of up to 18 hours
- SSD – 256GB, 512GB, 1TB, or 2TB
- It is extremely light weight.
- It has a long and extended battery life.
- It possesses a sleek and portable design.
- It has fewer ports.
- RAM and storage cannot be upgraded.
- Heats when used for longer duration.
2. Acer Chromebook Plus 515
Acer Chromebook Plus 515 is a Chrome OS laptop which comes with a 15.6 inch HD display. It is governed by a 13th Gen Intel i7 processor with 16GB RAM. It is a good package laptop and powered by Intel HD Graphics. Chromebook is unbeatable in speed and portability. It has RAM of 16GB and storage space upto 512GB. The laptop can run continuously for 10 hours.
- Display Size – 15.6-inch Full HD with 1920 x 1080 pixels
- Processor – Intel Core i3-1225U, Core i5-1235U, or Core i7-1255U processor
- RAM – 4GB, 8GB, or 16GB DDR4
- Graphics – Intel HD Graphics
- Weight – 3.63 pounds or 1.65 kg
- Battery Life: Up to 10 hours
- SSD: 128GB, 256GB, or 512GB
- It is secure and fast.
- It has various RAM and processor options to choose from.
- It’s portable and lightweight in design.
- It has a limited offline functionality.
- It depends heavily on cloud based storage options.
- It cannot resist extreme heat and cold.
3. HP Pavilion x360 Convertible – 15-er1000, 15.6
The HP Pavilion x360 Convertible operates on Windows 11. This performance oriented convertible laptop possesses 12th Gen Intel® Core™ i7 processor. It has an Intel chipset with an integrated Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics. It offers a 15.6-inch touchscreen HD display. The screen to body ratio is 87.36% with touch IPS display. This laptop is flicker free with a battery that lasts up to 11 hours. It comes with 1 microSD card reader. It offers RAM up to 16GB while the storage sits up to 4TB. This convertible touchscreen beauty weighs around 1.8 kg.
- Display – 15.6-inch HD (1920 x 1080) with touch IPS display
- Processor – 12th Gen Intel® Core™ i7 processor
- Graphics – Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics
- RAM – 8GB, 12GB, or 16GB
- Battery life – Up to 11 hours
- Weight – 3.96 pounds or 1.8 kg
- SSD: 1TB, 2TB, or 4TB
- It is a convertible laptop with a 360 degree hinge.
- It is steady.
- It can store large files and documents due to its vast storage space.
- The display is not of high resolution.
- It is slightly heavier when compared to its peers.
- The battery won’t see the end of the day.
4. ASUS Zenbook 14 Flip OLED
The ASUS Zenbook 14 OLED is a compact and lightweight laptop. The battery lasts up to 15 hours a stretch. The laptop is highly portable and has a sleek and compact design. The laptop boasts a large and spacious keyword that comes with a responsive touchpad. It runs on Intel Core i7 processor with a 14 inch touchscreen OLED display.
It offers crystal images and is known to emit 70% less harmless blue light. It is highly responsive accounting for only 0.2ms response time. The laptop weighs around 1.65 kg and offers a storage space of 512GB or 1TB. It possesses Intel Arc Graphics and RAM of 16GB.
- Display Size – 14-inch OLED touchscreen display
- Processor – Intel Core i7-13800H processor
- RAM – 16GB
- Graphics – Intel Arc Graphics
- Weight – 3.2 pounds or 1.45 kg
- Battery Life – Up to 15 hours
- SSD – 512GB or 1TB
- It comes with a responsive touchpad and a spacious keyboard
- It has a battery that can last up to 15 hours if used moderately.
- It has a powerful processor and sharp OLED display.
- The RAM is not removable.
- When the battery drops down to 60% or less, the display gets dimmer.
- It is slightly heavier when compared to its peers.
5. Surface Laptop 5
The Microsoft Surface Laptop 5 possesses an extraordinary webcam. It comes in two display sizes 13.5 and 15 inch respectively. The laptop feels light and possesses a thin design and is known for its sturdy build. It is well calibrated and has a 3:2 display with a powerful 12th Gen Intel Core i5 or i7 processor.
The keyboard feels great while typing and it has a highly responsive touchpad. The battery usually can last up to 18 hours at a stretch. It offers smooth Intel Iris Xe Graphics. The lowest weight variation is 2.9lb while the highest is 3.4lb. The laptop possesses a RAM of up to 32GB and a storage space that goes up to 1TB.
- Display Size – 13.5″ or 15″ inch
- Processor – 12th Gen Intel Core i5 or i7 processors
- RAM – 8GB, 16GB, or 32GB
- Graphics – Intel Iris Xe Graphics
- Weight – 2.9 lb for 13.5 inch and 3.4 lb for 15 inch
- Battery Life – Up to 18 hours for 13.5 inch or 17 hours for 15 inch
- SSD – 256GB, 512GB, or 1TB
- It has a thin and light design also known for its exceptional build.
- It has a responsive touchpad and an extremely comfortable keyboard .
- It has various storage options to choose from.
- Sometimes the battery can last only up to 8 hours if used heavily.
- The number of ports available are less, making it hard to connect any external devices.
- The handling of light reflection is extremely poor.
6. MateBook X Pro
The Matebook X Pro has an excellent design. The body is made of unified metal. It comes with a touchscreen display that is durable. It is extremely ultra slim, only accounting for a 14.6mm body and up to 3.1lb weight. The laptop can last up to 15 hours on a single charge. It possesses Intel Core i5 or i7 processors with RAM that goes up to 32GB. The laptop offers a storage space that can go up to 1TB.
The screen to display ratio can go up to 91%. Well, the best part of this laptop is it comes with a hidden camera. The camera can be easily accessed by pressing a button on the keyboard. It also comes with a fingerprint scanner and integrated power button.
- Display Size – 13.9 inch or 14.2 inch touchscreen display
- Processor – Intel Core i5-12500H or i7-12700H
- RAM -16GB or 32GB
- Graphics – Intel Iris Xe Graphics or NVIDIA GeForce MX550
- Weight – 2.9 lb for 13.9 inch or 3.1 lb for 14.2 inch
- Battery Life – Up to 11 hours for 13.9 inch or 15 hours for 14.2 inch
- SSD – 512GB or 1TB
- It has a high resolution touch screen display with a good screen to display ratio.
- It comes with a powerful i5 or i7 processor to choose from.
- It is light in design with unified metal and has a long battery duration.
- The graphics options are limited making it unsuitable for writers with graphic designing needs.
- The 14.2 inch model is not for writers who are looking to have a portable laptop.
- The budget can increase if you are looking for high end configurations making it inaccessible for some writers who are on a budget.
7. MSI CreatorPro X17
The MSI CreatorPro X17 is an extensive workstation laptop with a 12th Gen Intel i9 processor. The laptop has an excellent RGB keyword that is easy to type on. The laptop is heavy and weighs 3.9 kg, making it unportable. It has a vibrant 17 inch display that offers various resolutions to choose from. It offers a large port selection and comes with RAM of 128GB. The battery life only lasts up to 4 hours at a stretch after a prolonged use. The storage space can be configured with up to 4TB.
- Display Size – 17.3 inch display
- Processor – Up to 12th Gen Intel Core i9 processor
- RAM – Up to 128GB
- Graphics – Up to NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti
- Weight – 8.6 pounds or 3.9 kg
- Battery Life – Up to 4 hours
- SSD – Up to 4TB
- It has an excellent RGB eye-catching keyboard making it suitable for writing.
- Its 17 inch large display makes the writing experience comfortable and easy.
- The storage space can be configured to store multiple large files.
- Its heavy weight makes it inaccessible for writers who are looking for a portable design.
- The battery is limited and lasts only up to 4 hours.
- The huge size of the laptop may be a turn off for writers who are seeking for a more compact design.
8. ASUS Vivobook 16
The ASUS Vivobook 16 is a lightweight laptop known for its efficient portability. Its unique design makes it a go-to laptop for everyday use. ASUS Vivobook 16 comes with vibrant colors. It has a 16 inch display that offers various screen resolutions. The laptop comes with Intel Core i7 processor and various ports to choose from. If you are looking to finish your job well, this is the best laptop to go for! The laptop offers multi-tasking at an ease. It comes with a battery life that can last up to 7.5 hours if used moderately.
- Display Size – 16 inch display
- Processor – 12th Gen Intel Core i7 processor
- RAM – Up to 16GB
- Graphics – NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti
- Weight – 4.4 pounds or 2kg
- Battery Life – Up to 7.5 hours
- SSD – Up to 1TB
- It has a vibrant 120 Hz display offering vibrant colors.
- Its 16 inch large display makes it perfect for writing sessions.
- This laptop comes with various port options.
- The battery life is short.
- The laptop becomes hard to carry due to its weight sometimes. Not a good option for someone who is looking for a portable laptop.
- The laptop is not capable enough to beat its peers in the same price category.
9. Acer Aspire 5 A515
The Acer Aspire 5 A515 is the best budget friendly laptop for writers designed to cater daily needs. It offers solid performance with various display sizes. The laptop has an Intel processor with integrated Intel Iris Xe Graphics. The laptop boasts a battery life that can last for more than 11 hours. The keyboard and touchpad feels good to touch while writing. The laptop offers a clear and comfortable view. It has an air inlet especially designed for the keyboard. The laptop is aimed at casual work and weighs 3.9 lb.
- Display Size -14, 15 or 17 inch
- Processor – Intel or AMD
- RAM – Up to 32GB
- Graphics – Integrated Intel Iris Xe Graphics
- Weight – 3.9 lb
- Battery Life – Up to 11 hours
- SSD – 256GB to 1TB
- It is a great laptop for everyday writing projects.
- The comfortable keyboard and mouse pad makes it extremely convenient to use.
- It has a long battery life of up to 11 hrs.
- The display is too bright.
- The laptop lacks performance when compared to its peers in the same price category.
- The laptop cannot withstand long work/writing sessions .
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the most important features for the best laptop for writers?
For writers, key features prioritize comfort and focus:
– Keyboard: Select a keyboard that feels good to touch while typing.
– Display: Select a display between 14 to 16 inches.
– Battery life: Look for laptops with batteries that can last longer. Aim for 8+ hours for optimal mobility.
– Weight and portability: A lightweight laptop (2-4 lbs) allows for easy carrying without sacrificing screen size. Consider thinner models for increased portability.
– Additional features: Consider extras like a silent fan, ample storage, and sturdy build quality, especially for travel.
2. What is the best operating system for the best laptop for writers?
Both Windows and macOS offer strong options for writers:
– Windows: Offers wider hardware variety, often at more affordable prices. Popular writing software like Microsoft Word and Scrivener are fully functional on Windows.
– macOS: Known for its clean interface and smooth user experience. Many writers favor Apple Pages and Final Draft, which run best on macOS.
3. What is the best budget laptop for writers?
Several affordable options offer excellent value for writers:
– Acer Aspire 5: It comes around $400 with a comfortable keyboard and touchpad.
– Microsoft Surface Laptop 5: It starts at $600. The laptop is light in weight and has an excellent keyboard and touchpad.
Remember, prioritize keyboard quality and screen comfort within your budget range.
4. What is the high-end best laptop for writers?
For premium features and performance, consider Apple MacBook Air M2. This laptop starts at $1049. It is one of the best in the list with long battery life and Apple M2 chip.
5. What are some additional tips for choosing the best laptop for writers?
– Test different types of keyboards before buying. Visit the store in person to touch and feel the keyboard. Comfort should be your key while typing. .
– Think about future needs: If you plan to edit photos or videos occasionally, consider a laptop with more powerful graphics capabilities.
Finding the best laptop for writer involves various factors. The writer should look for a laptop which has a comfortable keyboard design and a responsive touch pad. Comfort is the key here, if you want to work for longer hours.
Also, you should take into account the display size and the storage options that you can avail while buying the laptop. The laptop should fulfill your basic needs as a writer.
Now, its up to carefully analyze the factors and choose a laptop that suits your daily needs.