Are you a student looking for a American Express Student Credit Cards that can assist you in improving your credit score and effectively managing your expenses? Well, my readers you’ve come to the place. American Express offers a range of credit cards tailored specifically for students.
Table of Contents
In this article, we will delve into the options at your disposal. Provide you with valuable advice, on how to responsibly and efficiently utilize your American Express student credit cards. We have also discussed & reviewed the top student credit cards as alternatives to American Express (Amex). And If you are a student with no income and credit history you can also check out our other article Best College Student Credit Cards with No Income and Credit History.
What is American Express Student Credit Cards?
Student Credit Cards are designed to assist students in building a credit history, managing their expenses, and earning rewards or cashback through programs that are tailored to their individual needs. These cards provide a range of advantages that can help students maximize their financial resources while building credit. Currently, there is no American Express Student Credit Cards. Amex doesn’t have any Student Credit Card.
Benefits of Student Credit Cards
A student credit card comes with benefits that can assist students in managing their finances. These advantages encompass;
- Establishing a credit history; By using a credit card students can establish a credit history, which can be advantageous when applying for loans or other forms of credit in the future.
- Convenient payment option; With a credit card students have the convenience of making payments without the need to carry cash or checks. This is especially useful, for students who may not be familiar with using cash or checks to pay for their groceries or other purchases.
- Emergency backup funds; In times of emergencies when alternative payment methods are unavailable having a credit card provides students, with a safety net to rely on.
- Rewards and cashback programs; Many American student credit cards offer rewards and cashback programs that enable students to save on their purchases.
Eligibility Criteria for Student Credit Cards
1. Requirements to Apply for Student Credit Cards
To qualify for an American Express student credit card certain criteria must be met
- You need to be enrolled in a recognized institution, as a full time student.
- You should be 18 years old.
- It is necessary to have a place of residence.
- You must have good credit scores or a limited credit history
2. Process of Applying for Student Credit Cards
Applying for a student credit card with American Express is easy. Here’s how you go about it:
- First, select the best American Express credit card for you.
- Then, go to American Express or Amex.
- Click on the “Apply Now” button for the American Express credit card you want to apply for.
- Next, fill out the required application form with your name and address.
- Finally, submit your application.
3. Documents Required for Student Credit Cards
You’ll need to provide several documents to prove your identity and Eligibility. These documents include:
- A valid government issued ID (e.g. driver’s license, passport, etc.)
- Enrollment in an accredited school or university
- Proof of income (e.g., pay stubs or bank statements)
Top 6 American Express Student Credit Card Alternatives to Students who want to get their Credit Cards
1. Delta Sky Miles Blue American Express Card
If you’re a casual Delta flier looking to earn some SkyMiles but don’t want to pay an annual fee to do so, Delta Blue is a great starter card from American Express. However, it’s best to stick with Delta’s premium cards if you’re looking for airline benefits, lounge benefits, and a pathway to Elite status.
- With Delta’s Blue Credit Card, you’ll never have to worry about an annual fee, and
- You’ll earn unlimited miles that will never expire.
- No foreign transaction fee
- The welcome bonus is a little bit small and,
- No airline perks like free checked bags or priority boarding.
- The other downside is that you won’t get an intro APR offer.
2. Discover it Student Cash Back
Discover it® Student Cashback card is one of the best international student credit cards in the United States. With this card, you can earn 5% cash back in a variety of categories each quarter (e.g. shopping, dining, travel, etc.) and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
You can also get a $20 good grade reward for achieving a 3.0+ GPA each year.
- 5% cash back in categories that change every quarter such as shopping, dining, and travel, plus 1% unlimited cash back on all other purchases.
- There is no annual fee for this card, but Discover does require an international student credit card applicant’s Social Security Number (SSN). This is a great option for students who already have an SSN and are working on-campus or off-campus.
- You can freeze it™ on/off to prevent new purchases and cash advances and balance transfers in seconds.
- Sign up for free social security number alerts so you don’t have to worry about identity theft going undetected.
- You have 24/7 access to your credit scores, as well as free FICO® credit Score updates.
3. Bank of America® Travel Rewards
If you’re looking for an alternative to the Amex student credit card, Bank of America’s Travel Rewards credit card is a great option. It’s perfect for students who are traveling and can get great rewards.
- With this card, you’ll be able to earn up to 1.5x on all purchases, and 20k bonus points if you spend $1,000 within the first 90 days.
- You won’t have to worry about an annual fee or an intro APR – just 15 months from when you open your account.
- You’ll also be able to redeem points for travel, gifts, statement credits, cash back, and more.
- It also has Chip technology, so you can stay safe and secure while you travel.
- Plus, you can get easy Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection, Lost Luggage Reimbursement, and 24/7 Customer Assistance.
- And last but not least, you’ll have access to over 2,000 ATMs and 43,000 Allpoint ATMs worldwide.
4. Chase Freedom Student
If you’re looking for a card that’s easy to use and helps you build credit and become financially independent, then you’ve come to the right place. The Chase Freedom® Student credit card is designed to help you build your credit and financial independence. This card offers a variety of features, such as:
- No annual fee
- 5% cash back on $1,500 or more in spending each quarter in categories that vary every three months
- Unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases
- Zero fraud liability protection
- Purchase protection for up to 120 days against theft or damage of eligible items purchased with the card
- Extended warranty protection that doubles the original manufacturer’s or store brand warranty for up to 1 year on eligible items bought with the card
- Redeem your cash back on statement credits and direct deposits into a Chase checking or savings account
- No foreign transaction fees
5. Capital One Quicksilver Rewards
Capital One Quicksilver Rewards is a Credit Card designed to assist students in building credit and earning cash rewards. This card offers a range of features, such as:
- No annual fee,
- Unlimited cash back on purchases regardless of the type of purchase or the location of the purchase.
- Additionally, there is an additional $150 bonus upon spending $500 within the first three months of account opening, as well as full 100% Fraud Liability Protection.
- The Capital One Mobile App simplifies transactions, and there is no additional charge when the card is used outside of the United States.
- Furthermore, users can track their credit scores and receive personalized tips from Capital One Credit Wise, making it an ideal choice for all students.
6. Petal 2 “Cash Back, No Fees” Visa Credit Card
The Petal 2 “Cashback, No Fees” Visa Credit Card helps beginners build credit and earn cash back without any fees. This card has some of the following features:
- No annual fee to use
- 1% cash back for all your purchases, regardless of where you shop
- Up to 10% cash back rewards with select merchant partners
- No foreign transaction fees
- Access to our app makes everything easy
- Although it may have lower credit limits, this card is a great option for beginners who want to build a credit history without any fees.
Comparison of American Express Student Credit Cards with Other Student Credit Cards
When it comes to student credit cards, it’s important to compare features and benefits to find the right one for you.
Here are some of the advantages that American Express student cards offer compared to others in the student credit card market:
- No Annual Fees: Most American Express student cards don’t have any annual fees, but some may have some.
- Rewards and Cashback Programs: Some American Express student cards have a wide range of rewards programs, while others may only offer limited or no cashback programs.
- Fraud Protection: American Express has several fraud protection features, while others may offer weaker security measures.
Tips for Using Student Credit Cards
1. Understanding Credit Limits and Maintaining Credit Scores
When it comes to using American Express student credit cards, there are a few things you need to know.
- First, you need to know how much you can charge on your card. That’s called your credit limit, and it’s the maximum you can spend. Be careful not to overspend, as it can cause high interest charges and hurt your credit score.
- Second, your credit score is a barometer of your creditworthiness, so make sure you’re paying your bills on time and keeping your credit utilization low.
- Third, don’t open too many new accounts all at once.
2. Avoid late payments and overdue balances
Late payments can negatively affect your credit score and can result in high interest rates and fees. If you’re having trouble making payments on time, schedule automatic payments or set up reminders so you don’t have to worry about paying your bills at the end of the month.
If you’re struggling to keep up with payments, reach out to your credit card issuer to talk about your options.
3. Rewards & Cashback Programs
To get the most out of American Express student credit card rewards and cashback, it’s important to understand how these programs work. Here are some tips to help you maximize your rewards and cashback:
- Use your card for Everyday Purchases
- Make sure you pay your card balance in full every month to avoid interest charges.
- Redeem Your Rewards Regularly
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the eligibility criteria for applying for a student credit card from American Express?
You must be a student enrolled in an accredited institution or university, be at least 18 years old, have a valid Social Security number, have a decent credit score, or have little credit history, to qualify for an American Express student credit card.
2. What are the benefits that come with having an American Express credit card for students?
American Express student credit cards come with several advantages, including the ability to establish credit history, an easy way to make payments, emergency funds, reward and cashback programs, and security and fraud prevention features.
3. How can I apply for an American Express student credit card?
Currently, there is not American Express student Credit Card. Still you can get other variant of this card by visiting the American Express website, select the card you want, and complete the application with the necessary information to apply for an American Express student credit card.
4. What are the American Express student credit cards’ incentive and cashback programs?
The rewards and cashback programs available with American Express student credit cards include cashback on purchases, membership rewards points, and introductory incentives.
American Express student cards can be a great asset for students who want to improve their credit scores, earn rewards, and learn how to use credit cards.
By learning about the features and advantages of American Express student cards and how to responsibly use them, students can get the most out of their money and build a strong credit score. Don’t forget to use American Express student cards responsibly and reap the rewards they offer.