Top 15 Scholarships for Transfer Students in 2024

Scholarships for Transfer Students 

According to the NSCResearchCenter, more than one-third of college students will switch to another college for Scholarships for Transfer Students. Students transfer for various reasons, but saving money is a major factor. 

If you are transferring, there are many scholarships out there for you. These scholarships are mainly for students planning to move to four-year colleges or universities. 

Some states even offer special scholarships for community college students transferring to in-state universities. You can ask your in-state university’s financial aid office about these. So, keep reading to find out all about scholarships for transfer students. Let’s get started.

Who Are Transfer Students?

If you are a transfer student, it means you have already taken classes at one school and are moving to another to finish your degree. You are not starting fresh like a freshman. People transfer for different reasons, like personal issues or wanting better academic opportunities.

Some people think transfer students are not as good academically as freshmen, but that is not true. Transfer students often bring valuable skills from their old school, which makes them pretty capable.

There are two kinds of transfer students: lateral and vertical. Lateral transfers are when you switch to a similar-level school, while vertical transfers are when you step up a level, like going from a community college to a four-year university.

Many colleges are happy to have transfer students and help them adjust. They might have special programs or advisors just for transfers to make the transition easier. For more details you can checkout our detailed article on Colleges That Enroll the Most Transfer Students.

One of the major concerns for transfer students is money. You might wonder if you can still get scholarships or not. So, let’s have a look at it. 

List of 15 Best Scholarships for Transfer Students

If you are switching universities, finding the right scholarships can be tricky. But don’t worry, we have got you covered. There are scholarships for all sorts of majors, states, and backgrounds. So, you will find the one that fits you. 

Some are small, just a couple of hundred bucks, while others can cover your whole education. It can be tough to find scholarships for transfer students because lots of scholarships are just for new students, but don’t worry we have picked out ones that are open to transfer students. Let’s have a look at them:

1. Scholarships for Military Children Program

If you are a military child planning to transfer to a college or university in the US, there is a scholarship program for you. It gives you $2,000 to help with tuition, fees, or textbooks. The money comes from companies that supply goods to military stores and want to support students from military families. 

  • Eligibility: 
    • Students with a parent who served in any of the armed forces and who possess a U.S. Uniformed Services Identification and Privilege Card
    • Recipients must enroll full-time in a two- or four-year college or university in the U.S.
    • Minimum of a 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale
  • Amount: $2,000 

2. Dual Credit, Legacy, and Partner Scholarships

If you are a transfer student looking for a faith-based scholarship, Colorado Christian University (CCU) is there to help you. This Christian university provides scholarships for graduates of Christian high schools, as well as for relatives of current or former students, and members of Christian organizations. 

You can receive up to $1,250 per year for up to four years through these scholarships. CCU also offers various other scholarships for transfer students, including ones for financial aid, academic achievement, Bible memorization, and musical talent. So, whether you are looking for financial help or recognition for your skills, CCU has scholarships that could support you easily.

  • Eligibility: 
    • Partner scholarships: Affiliated with a partner organization like Dare2Share or Young Life
    • Legacy scholarships: Be the child or sibling of a currently enrolled or graduated student
    • Partners in Christian Education scholarships: Attendance at certain Christian high schools
  • Amount: $1,250

3. Johnson & Wales Transfer Scholarship

If you are thinking about transferring to Johnson & Wales University (JWU), you are in the right place. They offer up to $12,000 in assistance for transfer students. It doesn’t matter which campus you choose, you can even take classes online. 

No matter what degree you are interested in, whether it is Culinary Arts, Sports Management, or something else, you can use this scholarship to help you out. JWU is all about giving you hands-on experience so that when you graduate, you will be all set to start your career.

  • Eligibility
    •  Accepted into Johnson & Wales University
    •  Meet academic standards
  • Amount: $12,000

4. Dr. and Mrs. Volodymyr and Lydia Bazarko Scholarship

You can check out the Dr. and Mrs. Volodymyr and Lydia Bazarko Scholarship at Manor College. The scholarship was originally started by a Ukrainian family to support Ukrainian-American students. It is now open to everyone who meets the academic criteria. Manor College is based in Jenkintown, Pennsylvania. They offer in-person classes. 

But if you prefer online learning, they have got you covered too! You can take courses in Business Administration, Healthcare Administration, and Liberal Arts through their flexible program and interactive digital classrooms. 

  • Eligibility
    • Transfer student with less than 11 college credits
    • Minimum of 900 SAT score
    • Minimum of a “B” average in high school
    • Preference is given to students of Ukrainian descent
  • Amount: Varies

5. eQuality Scholarship Collaborative

eQuality Scholarship is perfect for you if you are moving from a community college to a nursing program. The eQuality Scholarship Collaborative supports social justice and compassionate care. 

They want to recognize your contributions to the LGBTQ+ community by offering this scholarship. No matter your sexual orientation or background, you are encouraged to apply. So, if you are passionate about nursing and making a difference, don’t hesitate to submit your application for this opportunity.

  • Eligibility
    • Resident of Northern or Central California
    • Graduated from high school or community college in the past five years
    • Enrolled in an RN program in California
    • Service to the LGBTQ+ Community
  • Amount: Varies

6. Pine Cone Foundation

Finding money for college is tough, especially if you have a learning disability. But don’t worry, the Pine Cone Foundation is here to lend a hand. 

If you have proof of a learning disability and you complete an associate’s degree before transferring to a four-year university, you could get a $2,000 scholarship. They give out up to six scholarships every year. 

  • Eligibility
    • Minimum GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
    • Current documentation of a learning disability other than ADHD
    • U.S. citizenship
    •  Completion of an associate’s degree from a California community college
  • Amount: $2,000

7. Roberts Wesleyan University

When you transfer to Roberts Wesleyan University, you can access more than $20,000 in scholarships and grants. They offer a wide range of financial assistance. This includes academic, need-based, legacy, and religious scholarships. 

This ensures that every student can afford a high-quality, Christ-centered education. Also, every applicant will receive at least one grant, making these scholarships some of the best options for transfer students. So, if you are considering transferring and need financial help, Roberts Wesleyan University could be the perfect choice for you.

  • Eligibility
    • Financial need
    • Academic performance
    • Moral character
  • Amount: $20,000

8. National Society of Accountants Scholarship

If you are planning to get a four-year degree in accounting, you could get up to $2,000 in scholarships from the National Society of Accountants

It does not matter if you are still studying at a two-year community college or if you have already transferred to a university. As long as you are enrolled full-time and aiming for an accounting major, you are eligible to apply for this scholarship. 

  • Eligibility
    • Commitment to major in accounting
    • Statement of goals
  • Amount: $2,000

9. Patricia & Armen Oumedian Scholarship

Armen Oumedian is a graduate of Kettering University. He wanted to give back to students in West Michigan. Along with his wife Patricia, they have funded various scholarships. They focus on the West Michigan area and Kettering University. 

If you live in West Michigan, including Flint, you can apply for the Patricia & Armen Oumedian Scholarship. By applying, you will be considered for over $1 million in awards each year. 

Whether you decide to stay in the area and attend Kettering University or go elsewhere for college, this scholarship would help you achieve your educational goals. 

  • Eligibility
    • Resident of West Michigan or currently employed by a West Michigan Kettering Co-op business
    • Demonstrated financial need
    • Minimum of a 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale
  • Amount: Varies

10. Bridgewater College Financial Aid

Bridgewater College is a small liberal arts school with just 1,800 students. At Bridgewater College, you will find a warm and welcoming environment for everyone, including transfer students. Depending on your grades, you could receive over $25,000 each year to help with expenses. 

Bridgewater is particularly supportive of students moving from community colleges. If you are part of the Church of the Brethren, the religious group linked with Bridgewater, you may qualify for extra financial aid. 

  • Eligibility
    • Minimum of a 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale; more assistance is available for students with higher GPAs
    • Enrollment at Bridgewater College
  • Amount: $25,000

11. Heidelberg University Grant

Heidelberg University welcomes all kinds of non-traditional students. It includes veterans, adults, and transfer students. Even though they don’t offer online classes, they are committed to helping students finish their bachelor’s degree in four years. 

They also provide scholarships and grants for transfer students, such as the $1,000 UCC Grant. You can qualify for this grant by simply being a member of the United Church of Christ and asking your pastor for a recommendation letter. 

  • Eligibility
    • Member of the United Church of Christ
    • Recommendation letter from your minister
  • Amount: $1,000

12. Material Handling Education Foundation

If you are transferring to a four-year university and aiming for a major in Industrial Design or Mechanical Engineering, here is an opportunity for you. The Material Handling Education Foundation offers scholarships of up to $6,000.

You don’t need to write an essay, but you will need three recommendation letters from the material handling community. It is also recommended to submit classwork related to the field. So, if you are passionate about these subjects, gather your documents and apply for this scholarship to support your education journey. 

  • Eligibility
    • Demonstrated commitment to materials handling, logistics, and supply chain management
    • Enrollment at an accredited university
    • Full-time enrollment with at least a “B” average
  • Amount: $6,000

13. Hazel McBride Scholarship

Valley City State University has a teacher training program that offers Hazel McBride Scholarships. They give you up to $1,000 toward your tuition. To apply, you will need to meet specific academic requirements and write an essay titled “Personal Abilities and Experiences That Will Enhance My Teaching Career.” 

The university provides various other scholarships for transfer students, including up to $2,500 for the first year of enrollment. So, if you are interested in becoming a teacher and need financial support, consider applying for these scholarships to help you on your journey.

  • Eligibility
    • Education major
    • Minimum GPA of 3.25 on a 4.0 scale
    • Full-time enrollment
    • Have not already earned a four-year degree
  • Amount: $1,000

14. META Foundation

If you worried about how to afford college? Don’t worry, the Making Education The Answer (META) Foundation has got your back. As a transfer student, you can apply for the Gold Scholarship, which is worth $2,000 per year for up to four years. 

To qualify, you need to show that you have financial need, enroll in college full-time, and be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. So, if you meet these criteria, don’t hesitate to apply for this scholarship to help cover your college expenses.

  • Eligibility
    • Minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
    • Financial need
    • Hispanic descent
  • Amount: $2,000

15. Linly Heflin Scholarship

Are you from Alabama? If you are a woman, you have a chance to get up to $7,000 every year in scholarships. These scholarships can go with you to any college or university in Alabama that you choose to attend. 

The Linly Heflin Scholarship does not require you to have a specific major, which is awesome! You can use this scholarship for up to eight semesters while you are studying for your bachelor’s degree. 

So, if you are a woman in Alabama and you are dreaming of going to college, don’t miss out on this opportunity to get some financial support for your education.

  • Eligibility
    • U.S. citizen
    • Attend an accredited, four-year university in Alabama
    • Documented financial need
    • Minimum GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
  • Amount: $7,000

How To Win Scholarships for Transfer Students?

When it comes to transfer student scholarships, they are super competitive. Lots of people apply, but not everyone gets awarded. Here are some of the tips that you can follow: 

  1. To boost your chances, make sure your application stands out. 
  2. Do some digging about the organization offering the scholarship and see what they are all about. Highlight those values and principles in your application. 
  3. Spend time refining your scholarship essays to make them top-notch. 
  4. Don’t forget to reach out to the financial aid and admissions offices at the schools you are looking at. They might have scholarships specifically for transfer students. 
  5. Don’t overlook local scholarships. There is less competition, so your odds of winning are higher. Check out local community organizations to see if they offer any opportunities.

Transfer Scholarships from Honor Societies

Did you know that many academic honor societies also offer scholarships for transfer students? If you are already a member of one of these organizations or are thinking about joining, these scholarships for transfer students could be a fantastic opportunity for you. Let’s have a look at them: 

1. Phi Theta Kappa

Phi Theta Kappa is a national honor society with a massive membership of over 3.8 million students. They have got tons of transfer scholarships. You can access these scholarships through their PTK Connect portal

Some are based on your GPA, while others might consider your financial need or other accomplishments outside of class. So, if you are a member of Phi Theta Kappa or thinking about joining, please be sure to check out these opportunities for some extra financial help.

2. Tau Sigma

Tau Sigma is a national honor society for transfer students. They offer various scholarship programs, including some for international students switching schools. If you are planning to pursue your bachelor’s degree at a different college, you should check out what Tau Sigma has to offer. 

How Does Transferring Affect Financial Aid?

When you are thinking about transferring schools, it is important to check how it will affect your financial help. You will need to go through the financial help process with your new school to see what kind of support they can offer you. 

Please keep in mind that any need-based or merit-based aid from your current school won’t carry over. Your Pell Grant and federal loans will stay the same, but other types of aid may change. 

Some private scholarships might not transfer, so it is a good idea to reach out to the providers to make sure. Also, make sure to stay on top of things and plan accordingly to avoid any surprises with your financial aid when you transfer.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Can transfer students get full-merit scholarships?

When it comes to full merit scholarships for transfer students, it varies depending on the college. It is a good idea to reach out to the specific college you are interested in to find out what they offer. As for private scholarships, most won’t cover everything like tuition, room, and board.

So, keep that in mind when you are looking at your options. Also, make sure to do your research and see what kind of financial aid works best for you.

2. How do transfer scholarships work?

Applying for transfer scholarships is pretty much like applying for any other college scholarship. You just need to fill out the required application materials and make sure you apply before the deadline. Please don’t stress about being a transfer student. 

Let me tell you it does not change anything. All you have to do is send your application materials to the college you are transferring to, not the one you are leaving. So, as long as you meet the requirements and submit everything on time, you are good to go!

3. Do transfers get financial aid?

It is all about your financial needs! Just like when you first applied to college, the financial aid you get as a transfer student depends on how much you need it. Some colleges are super generous with their financial aid for transfers, while others might not cover all your needs.

The best thing to do is talk to a financial aid officer at the college you are interested in. But here’s the good news – when it comes to federal aid, transfer students are in the same boat as everyone else. So, if your finances qualify, you can still get the Pell Grant. Just keep that in mind as you explore your options for financial aid!

4. Can transfer students receive Pell Grants?

Yes. If you are a transfer student, you are still eligible to receive Pell Grants just like any other undergraduate student. As long as you have not hit your lifetime limit for Pell Grants, you are good to go. This limit usually adds up to about six years of full-time school.

It is pretty rare to reach it. So, don’t worry too much about it. Just focus on your studies and make the most of your financial aid opportunities.

5. Should transfer students use the FAFSA?

Yes. Every student needs to complete the FAFSA. This form helps you qualify for federal, state, and institutional aid. Please don’t overlook it, as it is just as important for you as it is for students who have been at the same university all along.

Make sure to submit your FAFSA before the deadline. Even though transferring can be time-consuming, you should stay on top of your FAFSA paperwork. This will make sure you don’t miss out on valuable financial aid opportunities.


As a transfer student, you do have chances to get scholarships. There are different types of scholarships for transfer students. 

Some are merit-based. Some are the ones from your school and some are specifically for transfer students. It might take some extra effort to find them, but there are scholarships available for transfer students. 

To increase your odds of getting financial aid, you should stay organized and keep searching for scholarships. With the right determination, you can reach your academic goals without having tons of student loan debt.

About the author

Team AzedNews

Add Comment

Click here to post a comment