The Governor’s Office of Youth, Faith and Family is seeking inspiring youth leaders from Arizona high schools to serve on the 2020-2021 Governor’s Youth Commission (GYC).
The GYC is a diverse body of Arizona high school sophomores, juniors and seniors serving for the 2020-21 school year. The GYC is composed of members from all of Arizona’s fifteen counties.
The GYC creates opportunities for:
- personal growth
- leadership development
- community engagement around pressing teen issues
Arizona teens will learn how to:
- serve on a board
- participate in committees
- plan service projects
- gain public speaking skills
- build friendships statewide
The purpose of the GYC is to engage youth through innovative programs, events, and campaigns that effectively serve their communities in the areas of:
- Distracted Driving Prevention: Members work to minimize accidents caused by distracted driving in Arizona and demonstrate creative ways to increase safety on Arizona’s roadways.
- Education: Members raise awareness on the importance of reading, writing, and literacy.
- Human Trafficking Prevention: The goal of this committee is to raise awareness about the dangers of human trafficking and support education and prevention efforts across the state.
- Substance Abuse Prevention: Members encourage their peers to lead a healthy lifestyle and be mindful of their choices by reminding them that there are better things to do than abuse drugs and alcohol.
- Teen Dating Violence Prevention: The committee works to prevent dating violence and promote healthy relationships among Arizona Youth.
If you know a high school student with a passion for service and leadership, please share this unique opportunity to serve as an ambassador in a nationally recognized leadership program.
Applicants must be a sophomore, junior, or senior student during the 2020-2021 school year.
Applications are currently being accepted until March 31, 2020 at 5:00 pm from Arizona youth in all fifteen counties.
For more information onf the Governor’s Youth Commission, please click here for a list of frequently asked questions.