The Arizona Department of Education will hold its first-ever summit between two different regions of the Zip Code Project on Friday, August 17 from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. at Arizona Department of Education at 1535 West Jefferson Street in Phoenix, bringing together the South Phoenix and West Phoenix-Maryvale regions in an effort to assist disconnected youth.
“The Zip Code Project identifies areas with high concentrations of disconnected youth and focuses on bringing community resources together to assist them,” said Diane Douglas, Arizona Superintendent of Public Instruction.
“Left unaided, these young people will often end up pursuing futures that include crime, welfare or other unacceptable outcomes,” Douglas said. “Our mission with the Zip Code Project is to help these young adults get back on the path to a successful, happy and productive life.”
The Zip Code Project is an ADE initiative dedicated to assisting disconnected youth ages 16-24 that are neither employed nor attending school. The initiative was designed to bring government, community and non-profit organizations together to develop Community Boards of Action in an effort to end youth disconnection.
The purpose of the summit is to pool community resources together to develop a plan of action to complete over the next 10-12 months. A few topics to be discussed will include the following:
- Development and recruitment of a Zip Code Project Youth Advisory Council to assist with the direction of the project.
- Creation of a volunteer mentorship program to allow professionals to mentor youth in areas such as FAFSA paperwork, resume building, career advising and skill realization.
- Discuss a potential partnership with Arizona State University for developing an iPhone and Android App that helps provide resources for disconnected youth.
- Receive feedback from community partners on their new plans and goals for the school year.
ADE also intends to facilitate 2018-19 Zip Code Project Launch events in both Chinle and Ajo. More information on those events will be coming soon.
For those interested in attending the 2018 South Phoenix/West Phoenix-Maryvale Zip Code Project Summit, please find the info below:
- Date: 2-4 p.m., Friday, August 17
- Location: Arizona Department of Education, 1535 West Jefferson St., Phoenix, AZ 85007
- Please RSVP to ensure space to Christopher.Dickinson@azed.gov