On May 9, 2019, Tucson Unified School District honored and celebrated over 100 incredible staff members, teachers, assistant principals and principals during the 5th Annual Celebration of the Stars event at Catalina High School.
The high-energy evening was filled with cheers, smiles and fun as finalists and winners were recognized by their peers and District Leadership.
Congratulations to all of our 86 Campus Teachers of the Year and the following Category Winners:
- Campus Care Staff Member of the Year: Altoria Vardiman, Mission View Elementary School
- Classified Campus Support Employee of the Year: Rachel Ruder, Safford K-8 School
- Certified Campus Support Employee of the Year: Karen Evans, Valencia Middle School
- Campus Office Support Employee of the Year: Hanna Cordova, Henry Elementary School
- District Support Employee of the Year: Jeffrey Sawyer, African American Student Services
- Teacher Assistant of the Year: Liza Olguin Pulido, Mission View Elementary
- Counselor of the Year: Julia McGee, Davidson Elementary School
- Assistant Principal of the Year: Marisela Campillo, Hollinger K-8 School
- Elementary / K-8 Principal of the Year: Sarah Andricopoulos, Davidson Elementary School
- Secondary Principal of the Year: Theresa Tenace, Mary Meredith K-12 School
- Teacher Rising Star Award: Imelda Cortez, Pueblo High School
- Elementary Teacher of the Year: Katherine Makovic, Ford Elementary School
- Teacher of the Year for K-8 Schools: Anita Raptis, Maxwell K-8 School
- Middle School Teacher of the Year: Adam Drudge, Alice Vail Middle School
- High School Teacher of the Year: Jennifer Flagg, Teenage Parent High School
Congratulations to everyone who was recognized. The District is very proud of the dedication, effort, and support our teachers and staff provide our students, community, and each other – making this an amazing place to work. Thank you!
Tucson Unified School District is Southern Arizona’s largest district, educating more than 45,000 students. TUSD offers extensive learning opportunities for children, including Advanced Placement, GATE and International Baccalaureate, free full-day kindergarten, a focus on STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math), studies in seven world languages, fine arts, before and after school programs, and more. Tucson Unified has proudly served Tucson families since 1867.