- Lance Ross | Bullhead City Elementary School District #15 and Colorado River Union High School District
The Bullhead City Elementary (BCESD) and Colorado River Union High School District (CRUHSD) governing boards have recognized ten students, faculty and staff members who were either finalists or winners in the recent Community Achievement Awards hosted by the Laughlin Chamber of Commerce.
Now in its twenty-second year, the black tie CAAs are considered the Tri-state area’s most prestigious regional honors in sixteen different categories.
Many of those honored by the boards have ties to both districts.
“We are really proud of all of these individuals,” said CRUHSD board president Lori Crampton. “They’re just a small smattering of the excellent people who attend school and work for us and the elementary school district.”
“Our community is fortunate to have students, from elementary through high school, who already recognize the importance of service,” noted BCESD Superintendent Dr. Carolyn Stewart several nights later. “We also have educators and staff members who are committed to the best opportunities for the youth they serve.”
Seven of those recognized in the proclamation were finalists, while three were winners in their categories. It is also the third consecutive year that a BCESD teacher was named Educator of the Year from among the six school districts, five charter schools and two private schools in the area.
Recognized in the proclamation were:
Educator of the Year
- Kathleen Watson, math teacher and volleyball coach, Fox Creek Junior High School; softball coach, River Valley High School
Lloyd Shires Tourism Award
- Ed Catalfamo, General Manager, CRUHSD’s Anderson Auto Group Fieldhouse
- Lance Ross, Director, Public and Community Relations/Public Information Officer, BCESD/CRUHSD
Educator of the Year
- Sara Bostelman, Mohave High School earth science and honors earth science teacher, Kiwanis Key Club Advisor
- Gina Covert, CRUHSD career-technical education (CTE) director, former River Valley teacher and former assistant principal, Bullhead City and Fox Creek Junior High Schools
- Craig Evins, Mohave High School government teacher and National Honor Society sponsor; alumnus, Bullhead City Elementary (Mountain View), Bullhead City Junior High and Mohave High Schools
Young Wonder Finalist (for a Student in Grades K through 11)
- Ethan Fromm, River Valley High School, national awards winner in Skills USA and recipient of a Gold Presidential Volunteer Service Award
Connie Davis Youth Citizen of the Year (for a Senior)
Finalists Receiving $500 College Scholarships (All Three Are National Honor Society Members):
- Caleb Fearing, Mohave High student body president; former BCESD student at Coyote Canyon School, Sunrise Elementary School and Fox Creek Junior High School, including student government at Sunrise
- Hanna Gutowski, River Valley High Skills USA officer, National Bronze Award for Community Service; former BCESD student at Coyote Canyon
- Mallory Moss, River Valley High student body president, captain of the speech and debate team, National Merit Scholarship semi-finalist
Both Dr. Stewart and CRUHSD Superintendent Todd Flora said they plan to make the proclamation an annual event following future Community Achievement Awards.