Registration for the Peoria Unified School District preschool program, Child Oriented Occupational Program (COOP) for the 2014-15 school year is going on now.
COOP’s are full-day, tuition-based programs offered at Cactus, Centennial, Ironwood, Liberty, Peoria and Sunrise Mountain High Schools. Registration forms can be turned into the front reception desk of each high school. There is a $30 non-refundable registration fee due when registration forms are submitted.
COOP programs are for four-year-old children and are staffed by highly qualified teachers and high school students who have taken Child Development classes. The students are interested in a career working with young children and receive direction in developing lesson plans under the guidance of the COOP director and coordinators.
Children must be four years old as of Sept.1 and toilet-trained in order to be considered for the COOP. Hours of operation are from 6:45 a.m. to 5 p.m. The program operates five days a week and follows the same holiday schedule as all schools in the district. Two snacks and a hot cafeteria lunch are included. Cost is $24 a day. There is a non-refundable $30.00 registration fee. For further information, please visit www.peoriaud.k12.az.us or contact COOP coordinators at the following locations:
- Cactus High School, 6330 W. Greenway Road, 623-412-5012
- Centennial High School, 14388 N. 79th Avenue, 623-412-4412
- Ironwood High School, 6051 W. Sweetwater Avenue, 623-486-6411
- Liberty High School, 9621 W. Speckled Gecko Drive, 623-773-6557
- Peoria High School, 11200 N. 83rd Avenue, 623-486-6312
- Sunrise Mountain High School, 21200 N. 83rd Avenue, 623-487-5139
Peoria Unified offers other preschool opportunities including:
- ECCEL (Early Childhood Center for Excellence in Learning) Preschool
- Early registration is April 14-25
- Various elementary campuses
- Programs are Monday-Thursday (except Frontier, see details below)
- $50 registration fee
- $300 per month for half-day programs
- $160 per month for peer models in a special education setting
- $490 per month for Signature Programs
- $600 per month for Frontier
- Children must be three-years old to attend
- Current Signature Programs are:
- Arts Integration at Foothills: Arts are infused throughout the curriculum and across content areas daily.
- Project Search at Desert Palms: Students with unique gifts and talents. Must be four-years old by September 1.
- Science Inquiry at Desert Palms: Students have hands on opportunities to explore scientific concepts first hand, over periods of time.
- Second Language Opportunity at Santa Fe: Curriculum is presented in both English and Spanish throughout the day.
- Full Day Preschool at Frontier: Extended learning 8.75 hours daily, 6:45 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday – Friday.
For more information about these additional preschool opportunities, call (623) 486-6470.
The Peoria Unified School District, located in the West Valley, serves more than 36,000 students in 32 elementary schools, seven high schools and one non-traditional high school.
With ongoing open enrollment and alternative educational opportunities, the district boasts a 94 percent high school graduation rate.
Peoria Unified prides itself on excelling schools, award-winning teachers, high AIMS test scores, specialized signature programs and championship sports programs.
For more information, visit the District’s website, www.peoriaud.k12.az.us.