Nominations for the 2016 Arizona ELL Teacher of the Year will open on May 2, 2016 and close on August 19, 2016. A cash award, prizes and recognition at an awards banquet at the 2016 OELAS Conference are included in this prestigious honor.
The 2016 OELAS Conference will be held December 7-9, 2016 at the JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort in Tucson, Arizona.
Arizona ELL Teacher of the Year nominations should be submitted directly by administrators in the ELL teacher’s school or district. The nomination forms can be found online at www.azed.gov/oelasconf/.
Nominations should meet the following criteria:
- Arizona Certified / Highly Qualified Teacher
- Presently employed in an Arizona school (district or charter)
- Currently teaching ELLs
- Three or more years of successful teaching experience with ELLs
The submitted nomination should include:
- Nomination Form / Signature Page
- Letter of Recommendation (you may write this directly on the form)
- Data Template (please complete the appropriate page of the Data Template based on the ELL teacher’s grade level)
You may return the forms electronically to Candis Middlebrook at Candis.Middlebrook@azed.gov. If an electronic signature is not available, please mail the signature page to Arizona Department of Education, 1535 West Jefferson Street, Bin #31, Phoenix, Arizona 85007.
After August 19, 2016, selected semi-finalists and their nominators will be notified, and the selected semi-finalists will be asked to submit an Arizona ELL Teacher of the Year application (due September 28, 2016). Finalists will be selected from these applications by a judging panel of distinguished peers, and the winner of the award will be notified in November.
We encourage you to partake in this opportunity to nominate an exemplary Arizona ELL teacher for this honor. Please contact Candis Middlebrook (Candis.Middlebrook@azed.gov) or Gerry Haskins (Gerry.Haskins@azed.gov) with any questions.