March 23, Calabasas School, MPR
4:30pm, Awards Ceremony
Sodexo created this initiative to get students thinking about making healthy food choices while also encouraging them to get active and creative in the kitchen. SCVUSD students are joining nearly 2,500 other students representing almost 1,300 Sodexo-served school sites in 28 states nationally in this fun and educational challenge.
Sixty-five SCVUSD elementary school students submitted healthy breakfast recipes and the twelve best were selected to participate in the district-wide finals event. Finalists will prepare and present their creations before being assessed on criteria including originality, taste, ease of presentation, kid friendliness and use of healthy ingredients.
SCVUSD’s winning student will be considered for the regional finalist awards, and the selected regional finalists will vie to become one of five national finalists competing for the public’s vote on the SodexoUSA website.
Below are the names of the finalists and their recipes.
- Anabella Martinez, Grade 2, “Anabella’s Healthy Muffins”
- Yulissa Alatorre, Grade K, “Strawberry Banana Parfait”
- Sophia Renteria, Grade 5, “Breakfast Bites”
- Mia Castro, Grade 3, “Whole Wheat, Oatmeal, and Banana Pancakes” (not pictured)
- Mimi Renteria, Dean of Students
- Ivonne Campos, Sodexo (far right)
- Camilla Molina, Grade 4, “Egg White/Veggie Frittata”
- Naraly Zazueta, Grade 4, Peanut Butter and Fruit Sandwich
- Marcelo Ibarro-Vallejo, Grade 2, “Mexican ‘Huevo’ Bagel”
- Miquel Mendoza, Grade 3, “Nutella and Banana Stuffed Pancakes”
- John Fanning, Principal
- Manuel Carrillo, Assistant Principal
- Rebekah Cabrera, Assistant Principal
- Ana Contreras, Supervisor, Sodexo
- Amelie Lopez, Grade 4, “Berry Delicious”
- Kayla Vega, Grade 3, “Kayla’s Delicious Low-fat Pancakes”
- Alma Gamez, Grade 3, “Fruity Pancakes”
- Tavita Lugo, Grade 4, “Tavita’s Smoothie” (not pictured)
- Lizzie Menefee, Dean of Students
- Chris Jackson, Principal