The best way to guarantee a quality school in every Arizona community is a well-functioning, locally elected school board, so Arizona School Boards Association has created a series of webinars on school board service, with the first one coming up in two days.
School board candidates often run because they are concerned about kids’ education or want to add more opportunities for students. They often find that their passion to improve education helps their whole community and makes their decision to serve as a school board member rewarding.
“If you serve for the right reasons and in the right way by making good informed decisions, you can affect kids’ lives forever,” said Tom Powers, Greenlee County Superintendent of Schools in an AZEdNews story about serving on a school’s governing board.
Take part in ASBA’s School Board Service Webinar – Interested in running for school board? on Feb. 13, 2020 from 6-7 p.m. by registering here.
The webinar will cover:
- Intro of ASBA and Thank you for considering service on a school board
- Legal Basis for School Boards
- What do School Boards Do?
- Qualifications for board service
- The Basics of Board Service
- Team Member Roles in School districts
- Rewards of Board Service
The second ASBA’s School Board Service Webinar – Getting on the ballot, fundraising and campaigning on March 25, 2020 from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Running for School Board: Legal Requirements for getting on the ballot
- What happens once I am on the ballot?
- Campaigning 101
- Getting your name out
- Campaign Materials (website, social media sites, signs, direct mail, phone calls and walks, automated calls or robo calls
The third ASBA’s School Board Service Webinar – I was elected: What now? on Nov. 10, 2020 from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- What Can I Do Now? (participating in meetings, executive sessions, board updates, etc.)
- ASBA’s New Board Member Orientation Program
- District Onboarding (see onboarding tool)
- Organizational Meeting