Dobson High School’s Alex Dergal is among the 100 most elite band students nationwide. He will perform in the Honor Band of America at the Music for All National Festival this spring.
The Honor Band of America is one of three national honor ensembles that will be part of the Music for All National Festival, March 6-8, along with the Honor Orchestra of America and Jazz Band of America.
All of the members of the ensemble had to audition for the Honor Band of America. As part of the Music for All National Festival, presented by Yamaha, the Honor Band will perform in concert March 8 to close the festival, before a historically sold-out house on the campus of Butler University in Indianapolis, Ind.
Honor Band of America benefits for students
- opportunity to work under the baton of Eugene Migliaro Corporon, director of wind studies and regents professor of music, University of North Texas
- written evaluation of auditions for all Honor Band of America applicants
- instrumental master classes with respected professionals
- one-year subscription to SmartMusic® for selected members
- eligibility to be nominated for the Revelli Scholarship, $1,000 to a Music for All national festival participating senior intending to study music performance or music education and to pursue a career as a music educator
- membership in an elite family that annually includes only 100 of the most outstanding musicians nationwide
About the Honor Band of America
Since its inception in 1992, the Honor Band of America has earned a reputation as one of the nation’s finest student concert honor bands. With the opportunity to rehearse and perform with renowned conductors and world-class guest artists, to premiere new commissioned works for concert band, and to perform for a dream audience of outstanding high school musicians and educators from across the country, the Honor Band of America is a must on résumés of America’s finest young musicians.
The Honor Band has received international accolades, for a performance at the World Association of Symphonic Bands and Ensembles, a concert tour of Europe with Ray Cramer conducting, and a concert tour of Japan with H. Robert Reynolds conducting.
Dobson’s History with Bands of America and Music for All
Dobson High has been selected on three previous occasions to perform at the National Concert Festival, 2004, 2007 and 2013. And three other students from Dobson High, in addition to Alex, have been selected for the Honor Band of America.