Deadline Approaching for Principals Leadership Academy of Arizona
Now in its 13th year, AEF’s esteemed Principals Leadership Academy of Arizona (PLAA) is one of the only administrator prep programs in the state for aspiring school leaders and first-year principals. Curriculum is designed and facilitated by A+ School of Excellence principals and district administrators as well as state education leaders.
PLAA content is uniquely Arizona-based, offering participants strategies and best practices that have been proven effective in Arizona schools. Topics include:
- How to prepare and manage school budgets;
- Communication strategies for working with students, parents, teachers, and district staff;
- Choosing curricula and adopting new programs;
- Creating school mission and vision statements;
- Tips for administrators on navigating media inquiries;
- Pending and passed legislation impacting schools;
- Avoiding legal pitfalls; and much more.
Curriculum is based on the Professional Standards for Educational Leaders developed by the Chief Council of State School Officers. All participants are paired with a Principal Mentor from an A+ School of Excellence.
Upon graduation from the Academy, principals have an enhanced understanding and ability to apply professional practice, concepts, and values in learning, leadership, and policy. Full participation and attendance results in 85 Continuing Education Units from the University of Phoenix.
- Participants may be aspiring principals or principals currently in their first year of service.
- Participants must be open to working with a Principal Mentor from an A+ School of Excellence.
- Participants must be able to commit to attending eight Saturday sessions once per month for eight months (dates below) and also conduct a site visit to their Principal Mentor’s A+ School of Excellence.
Information & Dates
To apply to the Principals Leadership Academy of Arizona, complete the online application by
5:00 p.m. Friday, August 27, 2021.
Meetings: The 9-month program of study will be a mix of in-person and virtual classes meeting once per month on Saturdays. All sessions are from 9:00am-3:00pm. Sessions will not be recorded as participant interaction and group discussion are important aspects of the program.
Location: In-person sessions are held on campus at the University of Phoenix Main Campus at 4025 S. Riverpoint Parkway, Phoenix, AZ 85040.
Requirements: In addition to attending Saturday sessions once per month, participants are also matched with a mentor who is an experienced A+ School of Excellence principal from their local area. Among other interactions, participants have the unique opportunity of shadowing their mentor for a day at their A+ school. Participants are also welcomed (not required) to participate an a judge on an A+ School of Excellence site visit team.
Cost: Tuition per participant for the 9-month Academy is $1,000, which includes all texts, necessary materials, and lunches. Inquire with the Arizona Educational Foundation for possible scholarship opportunities. Districts with multiple applicants may apply for a discount. Call 480-421-9376 or email Kim Graham at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
Dates for 2021-2022
September 18th, 2021 at Univ. of Phoenix
October 9th, 2021 at Univ. of Phoenix
November 13th, 2021 via Zoom
December 11th, 2021 via Zoom
January 8th, 2022 via Zoom
February 12, 2022 via Zoom
March 12th, 2022 at Univ. of Phoenix
April 30th, 2022 at Univ. of Phoenix
The site visit to your mentor’s A+ School counts at the 9th PLAA session and will be scheduled by you and your mentor during your first meeting.