Arizona State Legislators from all thirty districts have been invited to shadow local public school teachers for a day in September.
The experience these legislators will share with teachers leading grades Pre-Kindergarten through 12th grade is part of the Arizona Educational Foundation’s Take Your Legislator to School Initiative in partnership with the Arizona K12 Center and the Arizona Education Association.
In its fourth year, AEF has seen hundreds of teachers jump at the chance to invite their Senator or Representative into the classroom.
“This collaborative program helps build a bridge between the education community and state lawmakers. Joining a teacher in the classroom and on campus gives Arizona’s legislators a better understanding of what is happening at public schools in their legislative district. We are hopeful these visits result in beneficial, sustainable partnerships,” said Arizona Educational Foundation Executive Director Bobbie O’Boyle.
How does it work?
The Arizona Educational Foundation works closely with the Arizona K12 Center and the Arizona Education Association to facilitate the partnerships.
Teachers and legislators are matched based on legislative district.
The shadowing and time spent between teachers and legislators is unique to each pair.
Many visits include roundtables with staff and/or students, campus tours, guest teaching, and 1:1 conversations between the hosting teacher and guest legislator.
Confirmed Matches as of Wednesday, August 29, 2018
Organized by Date
- September 11, 2018: Ginny Sautner of Lake Havasu High School (Lake Havasu High School District) and LD 5 Rep. Regina Cobb
- September 12, 2018: Seth Wineland of San Luis High School (Yuma Union High School District) and LD 4 Rep. Charlene Fernandez
- September 13, 2018: RoxAnne Hudson of Verrado Elementary School (Litchfield School District) and LD 13 Rep. Timothy Dunn
- September 17, 2018: Katie Villaorduna of Hancock Elementary School (Chandler Unified School District) and LD 17 Rep. Jeff Weninger
- September 17, 2018: Kristi Hill of Desert Sky Middle School (Vail School District) and LD 14 Rep. Drew John
- September 17, 2018: Elizabeth Schley of Basha High School (Chandler Unified School District) and LD 17 Rep. J.D. Mesnard
- September 18, 2018: Taylor Gandolfo of Evergreen Elementary (Casa Grande Elementary School District) and LD 8 Sen. Frank Pratt
- September 18, 2018: Albert Ettinger of Kyrene de la Mariposa (Kyrene School District) and LD 18 Sen. Sean Bowie
- September 20, 2018: Amy Ball of Madison Traditional Academy (Madison School District) and LD 28 Sen. Kate Brophy McGee
- September 24, 2018: Elaine Veatch of Longfellow Elementary School (Mesa Public School) and LD 26 Rep. Isela Blanc
- September 25, 2018: Carol Nowakowski of Oro Grande Elementary (Lake Havasu Unified School District) and LD 5 Sen. Sonny Borrelli
- October 4, 2018: Christie Pentkowski of Granda Elementary – West Campus (Alhambra Elementary School District) and LD 30 Rep. Tony Navarrete
To learn more about the teachers hosting the legislators and the specific time of a particular meeting, email Maggie Zehring at email@example.com.