Arizona Science Center opened Get Animated! on Friday, June 16, and the exhibit runs through Labor Day, September 4, 2017.
Get Animated! allows guests to experience every step in the animation process and brings to life the evolution of animation from traditional hand-drawn cels to exciting breakthroughs in stop-motion and CGI. Guests will create their own storyboard and stop-motion animated movie, go behind the scenes with artists and animators, and enjoy the world’s largest touring 3D zoetrope.
Get Animated! highlights characters from well-known animated cartoons and films to help guests of all ages experience the science and technology behind the magic of animation.
This hands-on, interactive exhibit allows guests to:
- Create their own movies using 3D objects and 2D drawings at Stop Motion Stations and see a recreation of an actual stop motion studio.
- Develop their own storyboards using magnetic props and characters at the Storyboard Wall.
- Experience every step in the animation process through guided, interactive video clips.
- Design on-screen art through motion painting, using only hand and arm gestures.
- Create blends of colors using sensors on the illuminated Color Wall. The display also features jars of actual colors used by cel animators and gives guests an understanding of basic color theory and practice.
- Control the speed of animation to understand the principles of persistence of vison and the subtleties animators give to characters to bring their stories to life through the Spin Browser.
- Learn about voice acting through the experience of Bill Farmer, voice of Goofy, and many other characters.
Additionally, younger children will:
- Experience the drawing process step-by-step, using rear projection at How to Draw Stations.
- Trace actual animation at Tracing Stations.
- Use Kiva planks to build their own sets, inspired by a replica of the Shrek castle.
Guests will also enjoy viewing:
- The world’s largest touring 3D zoetrope.
- Original cartoons from early 20th century animation pioneers.
- Original puppets and maquettes from Clokey Studios, makers of Gumby.
- A 3D printing station which explores stop-motion in the 21st century, where hundreds of character poses and expressions are fabricated on a desktop.
Photo ops include Spongebob Bikini Bottom, Simpson’s Living Room, Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride Car, the Scooby-Doo Mystery Machine and “That’s All Folks”, recreating the iconic close to Warner Brothers cartoons.
“Get Animated! gives guests a unique “backstage” look into the science, technology and art of animation. Visitors will step into the shoes of an animator and understand the creative process, taking an idea from their imagination or real world experiences to create sketches and drawings using technology. Guests will have a chance to see if they have what it takes to be an animator,” says Chevy Humphrey, the Hazel A. Hare President and CEO of Arizona Science Center.
Get Animated! is produced by Stage Nine Exhibitions with support from major animation studios including, Warner Brothers, Screen Novelties, Aardman Animations, Laika, and Premavision.
Arizona Science Center, located at 600 E. Washington St., Phoenix, AZ 85004, is open 10 a.m.–5 p.m. 7 days a week. Get Animated! will be on exhibit June 16–September 4, 2017. Guests can purchase tickets online at azscience.org, or in person at Arizona Science Center. General Admission tickets are $18 for adults and $13 for children (3–17). Featured exhibition tickets are $7.95 for non-members and $5.95 for members.
Get Animated! is generously supported by APS and Scott Bindley, Writer, The Nut Job 2 and is located on Level 3 in the Sybil B. Harrington Galleries at Arizona Science Center.