Four Anasazi Elementary School students were named State Champions in the 2014 Annual National Zaner Bloser Handwriting Contest. Congratulations to William Chu, Shaelen Giordano, Madison Hepner and Grant Sobek.
Anasazi was the only Arizona Public School to have state winners.
“We thank all the students who participated in this program, as well as express our appreciation to all of our classroom teachers who assisted with handwriting lessons throughout the school year. A final big thank you goes to Mrs. Marilyn Harrer, our volunteer extraordinaire, for championing our handwriting program,” said Jeff Quisberg, principal at Anasazi.
- Amanda Maynard, a Kindergarten student in Mrs. Trappen’s class, Kindergarten Winner
- William Chu, a 1st grade student in Mrs. Charnicki’s class, 1st Grade Winner
- Shaelen Giordano, a 2nd grade student in Mrs. McKenney’s class, 2nd Grade Winner
- Madison Hepner, a 3rd grade student in Mrs. Coleman’s class, 3rd Grade Winner
- Grant Sobek, a 4th grade student in Ms. Michals’ class, 4th Grade Winner
- Ryann Hanifen, a 5th grade student in Mrs. Zoikoff’s class, 5th Grade Winner
- Mason Schweikert, a 3rd grade student in Ms. Parker’s class, received the Nicholas Maxim Award for Excellent Penmanship AZ Honoree
- Akira Bilello, a 5th grade student in Mrs. Zolikoff’s class, received the Nicholas Maxim Award for Excellent Penmanship AZ Honoree
Since 2005, Anasazi has had 20 state champion students, and one Grand National Champion for the 2012-13 school year.
Scottsdale Unified School District, where we Engage, Educate and Empower Every Student, Every Day. The District and 15 schools have earned the state’s highest A-F Achievement Profile grade – A. All Scottsdale schools are graded as A, B, or C by the Arizona Department of Education. For more information about Scottsdale Unified schools, please visit www.susd.org.